7 Summer Flowers That Are Poisonous To Dogs

7 Summer Flowers That Are Poisonous To Dogs

Summer’s finally arrived and everything is blossoming and we couldn’t be happier! It was a particular long winter and June has proven to be one of the hottest months we’ve had.

One of the things I like about summer is the burst of colour from all the beautiful trees and flowers, everything is in full bloom! With it brings a sense of adventure and life springs forth and your pup can’t wait to go outside and rummage through it.

But some of summer’s most cherished flowers are poisonous ( fatal in some cases ) to your dog. Do you know which flowers you’ll need to avoid if you’re going camping or planning a weekend hike with your dog? Here are the 7 flowers that are poisonous to pets. If these are already in your garden or encounter them while trekking, please take some precautions to protect your dog.

1. Daffodils

A popular spring flower yet poisonous to pets with the bulb being the most lethal since it contains concentrated levels of the toxic component lycorine which is harmful to dogs. Some of the apparent signs that your pet has ingested any part of the daffodil plant includes: lethargy, diarrhoea and abdominal pain.

2. Chrysanthemum

Another beautiful but harmful plant you’ll need to avoid since it can cause your dog experience a lack of co-ordination, inappetance and loss of equilibrium.

3. Lilies

A very popular flower but quite lethal and in particular to cats. There hasn’t been research to prove toxicity to dogs but lilies contain a substance called oxalic acid which is quite poisonous and something I wouldn’t like to take a chance with. If your dog chews or bites into the plant, look out for the following common signs: oral pain, drooling and vomiting.

4. Tulips

Tulip poisoning for pets can be quite fatal. If you have a natural-born digger (Terriers and Dachshunds, for instance) keep him away from freshly planted bulbs since these contains the toxic alkaloid Tuliposide A which brings on an array of health problems in your dog from tummy pain, vomiting and in certain cases sudden death.

5. Hyacinth

This beautiful flower is poisonous to both cats and dogs and belongs to the same Liliaceae family as tulips. Severe poisoning occurs when dogs dig up freshly planted hyacinth bulbs since these have concentrated levels of the toxin alkaloids. Some of the common symptoms to watch out for are: excessive drooling, vomiting and increase in heart rate. Contact your vet if any of these signs appear.

6. Morning Glory

If you have a dog that likes to chew plants, you may want start rethinking about planting Morning Glory. As beautiful as they are, these are highly toxic to dogs in particular their seeds which can be quite fatal.

7. Foxglove

Beautiful trumpet-like blossom flowers that are very common but poisonous to both cats and dogs (even humans!) and in some cases life-threatening. This flower contains glycosides which are deadly toxins affecting the heart. Watch out for these common signs: abnormal heart rate, tremors, drooling and collapsing.

If you’re in doubt err on the side of caution and minimize the risk of your dog coming into contact with any of these flowers. Keep an eye on your dog whether it is in your back garden, hiking or camping. Don’t take any chances and assume your dog knows best. Dogs like to dig, chew and play and if tastes good it’s edible enough for them. But we know that, that isn’t always the case!

If you have questions about the toxicity of other plants or flowers, check out ASPCA’s Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant Guide. I use it from time to time.